This Halloween we have created an absolutely spooktacular cocktail for you to enjoy in those precious moments between jumping up to answer the door to costumed kids and refilling the pumpkin with sugary delights. A twist on a classic Old Fashioned, this drink is warming, sweet, and subtly spicy and is best enjoyed beside a roaring fire. Thought cold brew was just for summer? Think again. You’ll need to prepare this very grown-up tipple at least 24 hours in advance but, trust us, it’ll be worth it.
What you’ll need...
For the spiced muscovado syrup:
- 200g Water
- 200g Muscovado Sugar
- 4g Orange Peel
- 4 Cloves
- 3cm Piece Cinnamon Stick
- 12 Allspice Berries
- 4 Cardamom Pods
For the cold brew coffee:
- 1 x 30g Sachet of Ground Artisan Coffee - We Like It Best With The Genius No. 161
- 1 Bottle or Container
- Set of Scales
- 1 x Filter Paper
For the cocktail:
- 40ml Rum (we use Appleton Estate 8yr Rum from Jamaica)
- 15ml The Genius Cold Brew
- 10ml Spiced Syrup
- 4 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 Long Twist Orange Zest
Putting it all together...
To make the spiced syrup (make ahead):
1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water, heat to 80°C and stir to dissolve the sugar.
2. Remove from the heat.
3. Combine the spices into a jar or container and cover with the warm syrup.
4. Leave to cool to room temperature and then seal the lid and place in the fridge for 24 hours to infuse.
5. Pass the syrup through a small fine sieve to remove the spices and keep in the fridge until you’re assembling your cocktail.
To make the cold brew coffee (make ahead):
1. Before getting started, gather all your equipment into one place.
2. Pour the 30g sachet of ground coffee into the empty bottle or container.
3. Pour 360ml (360g) of filtered water over the ground coffee. Stir or place the lid on the bottle and shake well to ensure all of the coffee is evenly saturated.
4. Place in the fridge to infuse for 10 hours. If time permits, we like to give the mixture a shake every few hours as this helps to intensify the brew.
5. Once your coffee has infused, set up a conical strainer or V60 with a coffee filter paper placed inside it. Rinse the filter paper with filtered water to remove any trace of papery flavour.
6. Gently pour the cold brew through the filter, leaving the grounds at the bottom of the bottle.
7. Viola! Your cold brew mix is ready to go and will keep well in the fridge for up to a week.
For the cold brew old fashioned:
1. In a cocktail tin half filled with large ice cubes, combine the rum, genius cold brew, spiced syrup & bitters. Stir 30 times to chill down.
2. To serve, fill a tumbler with large ice cubes, strain the drink over the ice and finish with a large twist of orange.